Medical Treatment Visa

Medical Treatment Visa (subclass 602) is a temporary visa for people who:

      • Intend to have medical treatment or consultations in Australia
      • Intend to donate an organ to someone in Australia
      • Intend to support a patient or organ donor who holds or is applying for this visa
      • Intend to receive an organ from someone who travels to Australia with you
      • Intend to come to Australia under the arrangements between the Western Province of Papua New Guinea and the Queensland Department of Health
      • Be in Australia, aged 50 years or older, been refused an Australian permanent visa on health grounds only and are unfit to depart Australia

You cannot apply for this visa to have medical treatment for surrogate motherhood.

You must not have a medical condition that could be a threat to public health.

To be eligible for this visa you must:

Have sufficient funds:

    • While you are in Australia, you must have adequate means or access to means to support yourself

Arrange for payment of medical treatment 

    • In most circumstances, you must pre-arrange payment of your medical costs, and demonstrate that it will not cost an Australian government money. You can show this with written proof from a public or private hospital, confirming that it has approved your treatment and arrangements to pay all the costs.

Be a genuine visitor  

    • You must only intend to stay temporarily in Australia and do the things you are allowed to do on this visa

      An intention to stay here temporarily does not apply if you are aged 50 or older, and in Australia and you have been refused a permanent visa due to not meeting the health requirement and you are unfit to depart Australia

Not hold this visa:  

    •  If you are in Australia, you must not hold, or the last substantive visa you held must not have been, a Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) that was granted in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or Consular) stream.

Not have had a visa cancelled: 

    • you might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled while you were in Australia

You can apply for this visa when you are in or outside Australia.

If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is decided.

If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.

Where we can be of assistance

Student Visa
Partner Visa
Prospective Marriage Visa
Parent Visa
Child Visa
Carer Visa
Medical Treatment Visa
Protection Visa
Skilled Migration Pathways
Visa Appeal
Other Family Visas